Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Cauldron I

It's done.

Weeks ago, around the time of my last post... in fact, just a few days before I made that post, I paid a visit to a very rich man.

Alexander Reed founded RossCorp. He made massive profits, crushing his competition and expanding his company to practically all walks of life, thanks to a deal he made with Jack of All. RossCorp owns this town, and the only reason it does is because whenever of Them comes calling, Reed has no choice but to obey.

We knew that the Ophilim and Mad Ricky were involved with Reed somehow. Likely, it was the influence of their respective masters; the Archangel and the Intrusion.

And with all these facts laid before me, I saw the obvious opening. The obvious solution. Exactly how I could learn what they planned.

I went to RossCorp tower, and I headed up to Reed's office, and he let me in.

After, it wasn't like he had a choice. There's a Dying Man piece inside me, isn't there?

It was... a surreal experience. Reed, the most powerful man in New Rossfield, cowering before me. He tried to hide it, but his hands never stopped shaking. His face was pale and sweaty. His eyes never met mine. The man was terrified. Terrified of what I might ask of him. Or rather, what Judas would ask.

I like this guy. Of course Judas would.

"Don't worry," I told him. "I just want to know what the Timberwolves want."

He shook his head. His eyes remained glued to his desk. "I don't know," he mumbled.

"Did they make you do anything?"

He nodded. "A concert hall," he said. "They wanted me to build a concert hall."

There was a concert hall, in fact. It was nearing completion. In fact, the grand opening was scheduled in just two weeks. Promotion had been all over the place for it. Free tickets were even being given away like candy. Hell, I had a ticket for the grand opening.

Now that I thought about it, everyone in town probably had a free ticket.

Everyone in one place, Judas noted. In an entire town, cramped into one building, commissioned by a death cult and their carnivorous insect friends. Sounds like fun.

As I stepped out the door, I heard Reed breathe a sigh of relief. Glad I was gone, and that I had taken Judas with me. I wished I could do the same. But far from relief, I felt only fear, trepidation, and sickness.

If they were planning what Judas suggested... well, suffice to say it would not be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment